Table of Contents
In order to release content onto YouTube for your respective channel, you need to make it first, hence the title “YouTube Channel Setup.” In order to make or create the content, you need to have the right tools capable of transferring your creative ideas that culminate in your mind onto film. Our philosophy in choosing our gear is a bit “anti-meta” and, in laymen’s terms, that means that we went with an approach that the majority of content creators don’t. Every YouTube video states that you can start with a smartphone and level up as your channel progresses, but, in our opinion, that isn’t the case in 2019. There is no better way of saying it, “You need to spend money, to make make money.”
In 2019, the amount of YouTube channels and content creators exploded, and getting noticed in a community where standards are set high (especially when you watch big YouTuber’s with 8K Cameras valued at $20,000) is difficult. In order to set yourself apart from the other people starting on YouTube, you definitely want to have a great setup that allows your content to be crisp and clear; I mean, think about it – how many times have you walked away from watching a video that potentially could have had Steven Spielberg content but the quality was “Potato” and you didn’t even give it a chance? In all honesty, that happened with both of us multiple times and led us onto an “anti-meta” philosophy that we aim to share with you all today.
One additional thing before we dive into our gear; this article by no means aims to force you to buy the most expensive filming gear. We are not filming for Warner Brother’s and IMAX audiences. This article aims to share our gear and explain our thoughts on why we feel using smartphones or budget cameras isn’t the best approach, especially for new YouTube channels. And remember, content is key but the quality is the lock which allows for the key’s potential to be shown/used. Without further adieu, likes jump into our YouTube Channel Setup!
* Disclaimer: This Post contains affiliate links (if you don’t see it, please consider turning off “Adblocker” and any Anti – Tracker), which means that if you click on one of the product links and purchase something, we will receive a small commission. This helps support our blog and allows us to continue to make more blog posts like these. Thank you for the support! – Love, Angie <3! *
1. Sony Alpha a6400 Mirrorless Camera:
Compact APS – C (Click Here for Price)
This camera was chosen for a variety of reasons. It provides 4K – Video support and amazing functionality in terms of the UI and features this small – body (very light) contains. It is reasonably priced, considered better than the current alpha models in features and value, and produces beautiful photos! For these reasons, we decided to invest a few hundred dollars more compared to the runner – up “Canon EOS Rebel T7i” which is much heavier, no 4K – Video, and worse auto – focus.
2. Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E (Click Here for Price)
*Watch our Unboxing Here*
We chose this lens for the beautiful wide angle shots that this lens produces and also the focus – distance! Our channel includes a lot of recording of the both of us on screen and, as a result, we need a wide angle lens. Now, why does the small focus – distance matter? For the creamy, buttery “Bokeh” that this lens takes!
3. Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS Prime Lens for Sony E – Mount (Click Here for Price)
*Watch our Unboxing Here*
Everyone needs a great starter lens and the “Nifty – Fifty” is the perfect lens that includes stabilization and a great range for beautiful shots. This lens is our go – to for portraits and more specific photos that don’t need the vast majority of background that the Sigma Lens includes.
4. JOBY GorillaPod Tripod – 3k Kit (Click Here for Price)
Not only was this tripod on sale when we bought it (and currently continues to be so) but the functionality and versatility of this product peaked our interest and has us attaching this tripod all over, spanning different environments and vertical landscapes. Also, this tripod has a head with a integrated balance… what’s not to love!
5. Protection / Coverage for the Camera (Click on Item Title for Price)
The worst feeling in the world is when you buy something new and you damage it with a crack or scratch. In order to prevent that we invested into three things:
A) Glass Screen Protector for a6400: Protects against scratches and smudges left by your face while using the View – Finder.
B) Tarion M-02 Canvas Camera Backpack: Classy – looking backpack sporting a safe – enclosed camera compartment.
C) Tarion Camera Shoulder Neck – Strap: For sense of security and to prevent the camera from falling out of your hands and hitting the ground.
6.NP-FW50 RAVpower Camera Batteries Charger Set
Cheap alternative to Sony – Branded battery pack replacements; also sports a nice rechargeable station – dock and comes with TWO additional batteries. Definitely worthwhile, especially when shooting 4K – Video footage away from an outlet.
7. UURig R006 A6400 Vlog Camera Hand Grip L Plate
If you have done any research on the A6400 camera, you already know that mounting a microphone blocks the ability to see yourself clearly when adjusting the camera LCD screen for “Selfie Mode.” In order to combat this problem, we purchased this cheap L – Plate that conveniently allows you to place the microphone on the side of the camera, freeing up the top – mounting plate.
8. SanDisk 128GB Extreme MicroSD UHS-1
After doing extensive research, we aimed to purchase a memory card that can handle 4K – Video Footage and be transferred onto our computer fast. The winner to this decision in terms of speed, compatibility, and value (severely discounted over the last few weeks) was the SanDisk Extreme 128GB. We highly recommend if you buy SanDisk, buy from Amazon and not other sellers on Amazon; also, contact SanDisk customer support and read them the serial number on the USB chip to confirm whether or not it is a fake or not
9. SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0
In order to transfer your files fast from the USB to your computer, you will need a compatible USB card reader; SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 is cheap and gets the job done.
10. Lighting (Click on Item Title for Price)
- Budget: Neewer 700 Watt Professional Photography Softbox Lighting Kit
- Professional: GVM 3 – Pack LED Video Lighting Kits
All together, these items create an unforgettable experience and a dream setup like no other. We highly recommend clicking on the links and learning more about the products as this article was not intended on describing the functionality and parameters of the items.
Before you go, here are some tips on affording all of these items.
- Purchase the Camera with “Body – Only.” This reduces the prices by $100 dollars, assuming you were considering the $1,000 version, and allows you to invest that $100 dollars into a lens that provides better quality.
- Become a Amazon Prime Member and sign up for their Credit Cards. This allows you to save on Shipping and opens Financing Options to you. In our opinion, spending $50 dollars a month is better than $1,500 dollars at once. It is always better to have that lump sum laying around for a rainy – day then giving it up all at once.
- Watch prices on Camelcamelcamel.com. This website allows you to see an item’s pricing report and you can see what the lowest price recorded for that particular item and when.
Take these items, tools, and tips and apply them to create works of art for your YouTube channel. We hope you enjoyed this article and ask for you to comment down below if you would like to see any of these items reviewed! Also, if you want to see unboxings of our items, visit our Instagram Page @Sushi_For_2 or click on our Page for quicker access to Instagram. Have a WONDERFUL Day!
Thank you so much for reading our blog & supporting us; it means the world. 🙂
**CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT OUR HOME TOUR!
*CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT OUR BLIND TASTE TEST CHALLENGE!*
Want more Makeup Content? *Click Here!*
Subscribe! Sushi For 2 YouTube Channel: Click Here <—
[…] purchase something, we may receive a small commission. This helps support our blog / YouTube Channel and allows us to continue to make more blog posts/videos like these. Also, the prices […]
[…] purchase something, we may receive a small commission. This helps support our blog / YouTube Channel and allows us to continue to make more blog posts/videos like these. Also, the prices linked […]